As head of the Civil Litigation Group and a senior partner at Victor Vallance Blais, Stephen Victor focuses his practice on civil litigation and advocacy. Areas of emphasis include corporate/commercial litigation and complex litigation matters, as well as personal injury, disability and general insurance, real estate, employment and estate issues.
Stephen graduated from Carleton University in 1963 with a Bachelor of Commerce degree. He graduated from the University of Ottawa in 1966 with a Bachelor of Law (LL.B.) and was called to the Bar of the Province of Ontario in 1968. He was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1981.
In his over 53 years of practice, Stephen has acted as lead counsel before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Federal Court Trial Division, the Federal Court of Appeal, and the Supreme Court of Canada. He is a member of the Advocates’ Society, the International Association of Trial Lawyers and Jurists, the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, the Canadian Bar Association, the Ontario Bar Association and the County of Carleton Law Association.
Stephen continues to be actively involved in the community and has received numerous honours and awards.
His extensive community involvement has included and continues to include:
- National Chairman of the Canada-Israel Committee
- National President of the Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of the University of Ottawa Heart Institute Foundation
- President of the Jewish Community Council of Ottawa
- Chairman of the United Jewish Appeal of Ottawa
- President of the Jewish Community Centre of Ottawa
- Officer of the National Executive of the Canadian Jewish Congress
Stephen’s many noteworthy honours and awards include:
- Awarded degree of Doctor Philosophiae Honoris Causa of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Honourary Fellowship, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- The Scopus Award – conferred by Hebrew University for demonstrating leadership and involvement with humanitarian causes
- Establishing The Stephen and Gail Victor Centre for Trial Advocacy, Faculty of Law, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Establishing The Stephen Victor Academic Exchange Scholarship between the University of Ottawa and The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Founding the Stephen and Gail Victor Plaza, Botanical Gardens, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Negev Dinner Honouree Citation Award, the Jewish National Fund
- Sanhedrin Award, State of Israel Bonds
- Gilbert Greenberg Distinguished Service Award, Jewish Community Council of Ottawa
Email: svictor(at)vvblawyers(dot)com | Phone: 613-238-2062